Monday, April 30, 2007



The proposed new office designed by Thomas Maynes, Morphosis in California will be the tallest building Paris,France when it opens in 2010. This is a clear departure from the iconoclastic designs of the "international", "organic" and the "post modernists". When I see designs like this it makes me wonder what the inspiration is for the building? Is it nature or is it the computer generated domain of numbers which result from a computational matrix? Or is it the smooth curves of a natural beauty revealed in massive three dimension on a grand scale? It is not obvious, but no mater. The question remains with art and all architecture- does it appeal to me and to my understanding of what beauty is or could be? For me it is not just looking ,but the re-evaluation of what I think is beauty. Yes, it is a statement by an architect, however without our clients we would not be able to do some things. I would like to find out more about the owner, but alas! The architect is the one who takes the top billing and further information about the owner will arrive much later. That seems to be information is revealed for multistories and costly structures. This is significant building because , not since the Eiffel Tower has the horizons of Paris been broken by such a three dimensional form. This will perhaps make a statement about the French Culture. They apprear to want to share and go to great lengths to make the "elan" of their art a political and tangible statement to the world?

2 comments:

Anne McQuown said...

This kind of architecture in which the meaning is hard to define leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe I am not trendy, but
"open for interpretation" is not enough meaning to construct a building. There is nothing to come back to when faced with a decision, no overarching principle. Yuck!

Thomas said...

Anne:
When architecture has no presidence, history or relationship it is a sign of technology leading and less abou the human quality in deisgn. I agree that it is over the top. My fear is that the emerging economies like Asia (Chia) and the Middle Esat (Dubai) seems to be pushing this at the cost of rational "green" architecture.